On today’s show, I’ll take you behind the scenes of not one, not two, but three different privacy websites. I ask Nate from The New Oil and Niek from Privacy Guides how they deal with being a public figures advocating for privacy, how they set their personal standards for privacy products, and how they cope with people and product makers who complain about their recommendations (or lack thereof). I ask them about some favorite products that they’ve had to remove from their recommended lists and where they go to keep up to date on privacy topics and products. Finally, I ask them what gives them hope about the future of privacy and what keeps them up at night.
- The New Oil: https://thenewoil.org/
- Privacy Guides: https://www.privacyguides.org/
- Techlore: https://techlore.tech/
- Panopticon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon
- Naomi Brockwell on VPNs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MHBMdTBlok
- Get your Firewalls Don’t Stop Dragons Merch! https://fdsd.me/merch
- Send me your questions! https://fdsd.me/qna
- Support me! https://fdsd.me/support
- Subscribe to the newsletter: https://fdsd.me/newsletter
- Check out my book, Firewalls Don’t Stop Dragons: https://fdsd.me/book
- Would you like me to speak to your group about security and/or privacy? https://fdsd.me/speakerrequest
- Generate secure passphrases! https://d20key.com/#/
Table of Contents
Use these timestamps to jump to a particular section of the show.
- 0:03:02: Transcriptions coming!
- 0:04:25: Introductions
- 0:05:55: As a private person, what’s it like putting yourself out there?
- 0:09:13: How do you handle the haters?
- 0:12:09: How do you keep up to date on privacy and related products?
- 0:15:29: How often have you had to reverse product recommendations?
- 0:20:33: How do you set the threshold for how private a product should be?
- 0:26:10: Where do YOU go to learn about privacy products and topics?
- 0:31:19: A little humility goes a long way
- 0:33:25: Choosing a good VPN provider
- 0:37:44: Should people use antivirus software? If so, which ?
- 0:40:57: How do you set and enforce your product recommendation criteria?
- 0:47:27: Do you think your standards help to improve the market?
- 0:49:08: What gives you hope about the future? And what keeps you up at night?
- 0:55:10: What can I do to further the cause of privacy?
- 0:59:05: Interview wrap-up
- 1:00:32: Dear Carey: Top privacy guidelines and topics for discussion?