We are being tracked constantly by our cell phones. We willingly carry supercomputers in our pockets 24/7, and these devices are chock full of sensors and radios that are tattling on us. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes incidentally, and sometimes maliciously. Apps for brick and mortar stores are tracking you within their stores, noting where you go, how long you stay in some locations, and where you don’t go. Other apps track your global location and sell it to third parties. Apps to keep tabs on kids can also be used to stalk significant others. And spyware is used to track journalists, dissidents and “people of interest” by authoritarian governments. If all of that weren’t bad enough, there are several cheap electronic devices that anyone can buy and hide on you to track your movements. Today I’ll talk about all of this tracking and stalking with David Ruiz from Malwarebytes, and we’ll give you some tips on how to avoid it.
David Ruiz is an online privacy advocate for Malwarebytes, where he writes about online privacy, cybersecurity, and the laws and proposed legislation that regulate how data is stored, shared, and accessed.
- Malwarebytes blog: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/
- Malwarebytes podcast: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/category/podcast/
- David Ruiz interviews me: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/podcast/2022/03/de-googling-carey-parkers-and-your-life-lock-and-code-s03e06/
- Coalition Against Stalkerware: https://stopstalkerware.org/
- Malwarebytes detection software: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download
- Stalkerware-type detections hit record high in 2021, but fell in second half https://blog.malwarebytes.com/stalkerware/2022/04/stalkerware-type-detections-hit-record-high-in-2021-but-fell-in-second-half/
- Kashmir Hill article: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/11/technology/airtags-gps-surveillance.html
- Subscribe to the newsletter: https://firewallsdontstopdragons.com/newsletter/new-newsletter/
- Become a Patron! https://www.patreon.com/FirewallsDontStopDragons
- Would you like me to speak to your group about security and/or privacy? http://bit.ly/Firewalls-Speaker
- Generate secure passphrases! https://d20key.com/#/