I admit it. I’m an Apple fan. Are they perfect? Definitely not. But in most cases, they’re actually trying to be good. And at the end of the day, their business model doesn’t rely on hoovering up your personal data. Apple just released a big update to its devices, iOS 15, and it’s got some really cool security and privacy features. I’ll tell you all about them in today’s show.
In other news: thousands of Netgear routers can be hacked via a Disney parental control feature even if you didn’t ask for it; yet another company is scraping social media and public info to sell it to law enforcement; the NSA and CIA are warning their employees to block ads for cybersecurity reasons; Microsoft has rolled out a “passwordless” login system; EFF is ending support for its wonderful browser plugin HTTPS Everywhere – because HTTPS is now already everywhere; Amazon’s new house robot, Astro, is a privacy nightmare (shocker); and this is the first week of National Cybersecurity Awareness Month in the US.
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, Week #1: Own your role in cybersecurity https://staysafeonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Own-Your-Role-in-Cybersecurity_-Start-with-the-Basics-.pdf
- Thousands of Netgear routers can be hacked — here’s what to do https://www.tomsguide.com/news/netgear-router-circle-patches
- Researcher drops three iOS zero-days that Apple refused to fix https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/researcher-drops-three-ios-zero-days-that-apple-refused-to-fix/
- ShadowDragon: Inside the Social Media Surveillance Software That Can Watch Your Every Move https://theintercept.com/2021/09/21/surveillance-social-media-police-microsoft-shadowdragon-kaseware/
- The NSA and CIA Use Ad Blockers Because Online Advertising Is So Dangerous https://www.vice.com/en/article/93ypke/the-nsa-and-cia-use-ad-blockers-because-online-advertising-is-so-dangerous
- You Can Now Sign-in to Your Microsoft Accounts Without a Password https://thehackernews.com/2021/09/you-can-now-sign-in-to-you-microsoft.html
- HTTPS Is Actually Everywhere https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/09/https-actually-everywhere
- Amazon Astro is ‘terrible’ and will ‘throw itself down’ stairs, developers reportedly claim https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/28/22699284/amazon-astro-real-world-stairs-fragile-developer-claims-documents-tracking
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month https://www.cisa.gov/cybersecurity-awareness-month
- Apple’s iOS 15 Privacy and Security features: https://firewallsdontstopdragons.com/ios-15-security-privacy-features/
- The challenge coin promotion is BACK!! https://firewallsdontstopdragons.com/my-challenge-coins-are-back/
- Would you like me to speak to your group about security and/privacy? http://bit.ly/Firewalls-Speaker
- Generate secure passphrases! https://d20key.com/#/