What is Tor, exactly? How and why would I use it? And what the heck is a Tor node? In part 2 of my talk with Alison from the Library Freedom Project, we’ll discuss why libraries are so important in the fight for privacy and how they’re using technologies like Tor to keep its patron’s (and even other’s) web browsing anonymous. We’ll talk about why it’s important to do a self-assessment of your particular “threat model” and Alison will provide some time-tested tips for improving your security and privacy. Oh, and we’ll talk about what all of this has to do with the so-called Streisand Effect!
Alison Macrina is a librarian, internet activist, and founder and director of Library Freedom project. Alison is passionate about fighting surveillance and connecting privacy issues to other struggles for justice and an analysis of power.
- BECOME A PATRON! https://www.patreon.com/FirewallsDontStopDragons
- Library Freedom project: https://libraryfreedom.org/
- Library Freedom wiki: https://libraryfreedom.wiki/
- Library Freedom Institute GitHub page: https://github.com/alisonLFP/libraryfreedominstitute
- Library Freedom Institute on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/libraryfreedominstitute
- Discover your threat model: https://ssd.eff.org/en/module/your-security-plan
- Download Tor Browser: https://www.torproject.org/download/