There are many business models and businesses that we curtail because they can be dangerous to people or democracy or society. Even rights enshrined in the US Constitution have reasonable limits. Now that it’s become evident how engagement-optimized and algorithm-driven social media is ripping at the very fabric of our democracy, it’s time for an intervention. Today, Phil Zimmermann (creator of PGP) will explain why things have gotten so bad and what we need to do to fix it and save civil society.
Phil Zimmermann is the creator of Pretty Good Privacy. PGP is still widely regarded as the gold standard for secure email communication and caused quite a controversy when it was introduced in the early 1990s. Phil went on to form Silent Circle and win several prestigious awards including US Privacy Champion and was inducted into the Cybersecurity Hall of Fame.
- BECOME A PATRON! https://www.patreon.com/FirewallsDontStopDragons
- About Phil Zimmermann: https://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/background/index.html
- Read Crypto by Steven Levy: https://amzn.to/2PyAjKE
- Silent Circle: https://www.silentcircle.com/
- Okuna update: https://medium.com/okuna/the-path-forward-8d56ccf37b5c
- Check out Somus.app: https://www.somus.app/
- Watch The Social Dilemma: https://www.netflix.com/title/81254224
- Watch The Great Hack: https://www.netflix.com/Title/80117542
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE): https://www.thefire.org/