Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 58:52 — 37.8MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
One today’s show, Ben Moskowitz from Consumer Reports will tell us about an extremely useful tool they’ve created to help you improve your personal security and privacy, customized to your particular needs, called the Security Scanner. Just answer a few simple questions and it will give you a checklist of specific ways to be more secure, ranked by time, effort and cost.
Consumer Reports is also pioneering a comprehensive, open-source program that will allow consumers, manufacturers, advocacy organizations, and more to formally evaluate the privacy and security aspects of products and services. This will allow buyers to compare products more accurately and give manufacturers incentives to make better products.
Benjamin Moskowitz is the Director of Consumer Reports’ Digital Lab, a major initiative to expand CR’s work on privacy, digital security, and emerging concerns in digital consumer protection. Previously, he served as Director of Development for Innovation for the International Rescue Committee, where he secured more than $29 million in funding as a founding member of the Airbel Center—a research and development unit that designs, tests, and scales life-changing solutions for refugees and people affected by conflict.
- Consumer Reports Security Planner: https://securityplanner.consumerreports.org/
- The Digital Standard: https://thedigitalstandard.org/
- Virtual screening of Coded Bias: https://action.consumerreports.org/coded_bias
- Contribute! https://digital-lab.consumerreports.org/
- Become a CR Member: https://www.consumerreports.org/membership
- Privacy Front & Center study: https://thedigitalstandard.org/downloads/CR_PrivacyFrontAndCenter_102020_vf.pdf
- Best & Worst Gift Guide 2020: https://firewallsdontstopdragons.com/best-worst-gifts-2020/
- Follow me on Facebook!! https://bit.ly/Firewalls-Facebook
- Follow me on YouTube!! https://bit.ly/Firewalls-YouTube
- Request book for review: https://form.jotform.com/203127587895064