Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 55:00 — 33.2MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
So, what can we do about these dark patterns? Are there technical solutions to this problem? Or will this require regulations? Or perhaps we just need to train our engineers and consumers better? In part 2 of my interview with Dr. Colin Gray of Purdue University, we talk about some possible solutions to the dark patterns problem, as well as tips and tricks for avoiding them. Colin also shares several interesting resources for further study.
Colin M. Gray is an Assistant Professor at Purdue University in the Department of Computer Graphics Technology. He is program lead for an undergraduate major and graduate concentration in UX Design. He holds a PhD in Instructional Systems Technology from Indiana University Bloomington, a MEd in Educational Technology from University of South Carolina, and a MA in Graphic Design from Savannah College of Art & Design. He has worked as an art director, contract designer, and trainer, and his involvement in design work informs his research on design activity and how design capability is learned. His research focuses on the ways in which the pedagogy and practice of designers informs the development of design ability, particularly in relation to ethics, design knowledge, and professional identity formation.
- Colin’s home page: https://colingray.me
- Dark Patterns: https://darkpatterns.uxp2.com
- Dark Patterns (Brignull): https://darkpatterns.org/
- Give Thanks: https://firewallsdontstopdragons.com/give-thanks-donate/
- Rachel Maddow’s plea: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/rachel-maddow-says-her-partner-has-covid-19-one-point-n1248375
- COVID-19 risk assessment tool: https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/
- Facebook’s Social Contagion experiment: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/06/30/facebook-only-got-permission-to-do-research-on-users-after-emotion-manipulation-study/
- Evil By Design: https://www.amazon.com/Evil-Design-Interaction-Lead-Temptation/dp/1118422147
- Design Justice: https://design-justice.pubpub.org/
- Data Feminism: https://data-feminism.mitpress.mit.edu/
- Michael Sandel’s Justice course: http://justiceharvard.org/justicecourse/