What do Apple, Tyson Foods and Worldwide Wrestling (WWE) all have in common? And what is “chickenization”? In part 2 of my interview with Cory Doctorow, he explains how some markets in the US economy are completely distorted by dominant sellers as well as dominant buyers. Seeing all of these specific markets as facets of a single economic problem, we can find common cause and perhaps a common solution.
Cory Doctorow (craphound.com) is a science fiction author, activist, and journalist. He is the author of RADICALIZED and WALKAWAY, science fiction for adults, a YA graphic novel called IN REAL LIFE, the nonfiction business book INFORMATION DOESN’T WANT TO BE FREE, and young adult novels like HOMELAND, PIRATE CINEMA and LITTLE BROTHER. His latest book is POESY THE MONSTER SLAYER, a picture book for young readers. His next book is ATTACK SURFACE, an adult sequel to LITTLE BROTHER. He maintains a daily blog at Pluralistic.net. He works for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, is a MIT Media Lab Research Affiliate, is a Visiting Professor of Computer Science at Open University, a Visiting Professor of Practice at the University of North Carolina’s School of Library and Information Science and co-founded the UK Open Rights Group. Born in Toronto, Canada, he now lives in Los Angeles.
- Buy Attack Surface: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250757531
- Back Attack Surface audio book: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doctorow/attack-surface-audiobook-for-the-third-little-brother-book
- Buy Firewalls Don’t Stop Dragons: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1484261887
- Watch The Social Dilemma!: https://www.netflix.com/title/81254224
- Donate to EFF: https://supporters.eff.org/donate/join-4
- Be very wary of disinformation right now: https://firewallsdontstopdragons.com/fake-news-be-highly-wary-right-now/
- VOTE!! https://www.vote.org/